Blanched Fava Beans are a tender treat somewhat reminiscent of edamame.
|Top Left: Blanched Fava Beans.|
Top Right: Fava Bean peel.
Bottom: Peeled Fava Beans ... ready for snacking!
This is a great cooking project to get kids involved! Shelling and peeling Fava Beans is FUN!!!
- 2 pounds fava beans in the pod (more or less)
- Salt to taste
- Shell fava beans (2 pounds of beans in the pod should result in 1 1/2 to 2 cups of shelled beans).
- Prepare a large bowl of ice water.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add fava beans and cook 1 1/2 - 2 minutes.
- Drain boiled fava beans and immediately immerse in ice water. Cool for 6 - 8 minutes.
- Peel skins from fava beans (they should pop right out).
- Shelled Fava Beans can be consumed immediately or refrigerated for a day or two. Add salt to taste, if desired.