Summertime is quickly approaching and it is a good idea to have some salad ideas ready to include as menu options.
Corn and Black Bean Salad is perfect for summertime barbecues or picnics. We at Cali's Cuisine are generally not fans of getting our food from a can, but we make an exception here.
After preparing this salad many times over the span of a decade (the original recipe was obtained from a family member), we have found there are a couple of key steps to maximize flavor.
While this salad is called 'Corn and Black Bean Salad,' the shining star of this side is an ingredient with no mention in the title: cilantro. The first key step is chopping cilantro in a food processor to an extra fine size. The bulk of the large stems can be twisted off and the remaining stems and leaves chopped. The smaller size chop yields the best flavor punch because more of the cells have been ruptured, thus releasing more flavor deliciousness.
The second key step: this salad MUST marinade for a minimum of 12 hours, preferably 24 hours for the flavors to appropriately develop.
The initial recipe included diced green pepper, but we have found the green pepper took away from the cilantro both in color and flavor.
It is easy to combine these ingredients to make a beautiful and tasty side!
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 bunch cilantro, large stems removed and blended to extra fine chop in food processor
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
- Combine vinegar, oil, sugar and cilantro in a container that has an air-tight lid.
- Add corn and black beans. Mix well.
- Refrigerate 12 hours minimum (24 hours recommended) prior to serving.