There are many ways okra can be prepared: fried, pickled or as an ingredient in a gumbo or stew. One of our favorite methods of preparing okra is to simply grill.
The key is to find okra that are small, probably 2 inches long maximum. Okra that are too big are tough and fibrous and will not get tender.
Preparation is simple. Here's how:
- Farm Fresh Okra - whatever amount you desire
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Paprika (Picante or Hungarian or Smoked)
- Thoroughly wash and dry okra.
- Place okra in bowl large enough to comfortably mix.
- Add enough olive oil, one teaspoon at a time, to lightly coat okra.
- Season as desired with salt and paprika.
- Thread okra on bamboo skewers. In order to keep the okra stable during grilling, it is recommended to thread through two parallel skewers.
- Grill over medium heat until tender, approximately 5 - 8 minutes per side.