(Disclaimer: Vegetarian Tamale Pie is not photogenic!)
The bean mixture is mildly spicy and is balanced by the crunchy sweetness of the cornbread topping. Hominy adds a nice combination of texture and flavor without being overpowering.
Vegetarian Tamale Pie can be served with plain yogurt, diced tomatoes, sliced olives or other toppings of your choice! This dish can be customized with different bean types (garbanzo, kidney, etc.) or even include browned hamburger or shredded chicken if desired.
This one dish meal can be tossed together in a snap. Read on for simple instructions!
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomato and green chilies
- 1 15.5-ounce can chili beans
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 Jiffy cornbread muffin mix, prepared according to package directions (milk, egg)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Prepare 9 inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients except muffin mix and place in baking dish.
- Spread prepared cornbread muffin mix over bean mixture.
- Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until cornbread is baked through.