This month's theme: LEMONS! My bundt creation: Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Bundt. I selected this because there is a Blueberry Lemon loaf cake alongside muffins and other breakfast baked goods at my favorite supermarket. It was love at first bite (or I was overly hungry when I first tasted it). Blueberry Lemon is a divine combination!
Lemons are a staple ingredient in my kitchen. We use lemons like most people use salt. A bit of lemon juice makes food P-O-P. A neighbor from across the street once knocked on our door to ask if we happened to have an extra lemon. He was surprised to see a load of lemons front and center our refrigerator (he actually thought they were a decoration - who has decorations in the fridge?). He ended up leaving with several lemons.
I digress. On to this month's Bundt Cake...
It seems the older I get, the more
- 2 Wild Blueberry Muffin Mixes (the mix with the canned blueberries)
- Eggs (as called for in mix. Mine called for 2 eggs per mix, so 4 total)
- Vegetable oil (as called for in mix. Mine called for 1/4 cup per mix, so 1/2 cup total)
- Lemon Juice to replace Water in one mix (my mixes called for 3/4 cup water each, so I replaced with 3/4 cup)
- Buttermilk to replace Water for one mix (my mixes called for 3/4 cup water each, so I replaced with 3/4 cup buttermilk)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Powdered Sugar for garnish.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Prepare Bundt pan with a generous amount of cooking spray.
- Prepare muffin mixes as directed, substituting one mix's water with lemon juice and the other mix's water with buttermilk and adding 1 teaspoon lemon zest.
- Bake 40 - 50 minutes, or until cake is slightly shrunken away from sides of pan and wooden toothpick inserted in middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes and invert onto plate. Allow to cool completely prior to slicing.
I'm a fairly experienced baker and am the first to admit that Bundt Cakes can be a bit daunting. On more than one occasion, I have turned out a bundt cake only to find half of it wanted to stick in the pan. This go round, I used an excessively heavy hand when spraying my non-stick pan.
My bundt cake turned out a bit dark. In troubleshooting the issue I have come up with two causes: my bundt pan has a dark (not so) non-stick coating and the amount of baking spray I used was overly generous. Dark pans are known to bake faster and darker. Baking spray contains soy lecithin, a magical ingredient with wonderful functional properties found in many foods (including chocolate). Soy lecithin is known to turn dark with heat. I masked the brownness with a light dusting of powdered sugar. Sprinkle the bundt with sugar just prior to serving as the oils from the cake will make the sugar 'disappear' over time (it is really still there, it just isn't so apparent). I have an idea about how to remedy this in the future, so stay tuned!
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving Bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all of our lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board right here. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers can be found on our homepage.
Take some time to peruse what other #BundtBakers have put together this month. I'm impressed with their ingenuity and creativity!
- Bee's Knees Lemon Honey Bundt from Food Lust People Love
- Blueberry-Lemon Breakfast Bundt from Cali's Cuisine
- Bundt Cake de Limón from La Mejor Manera de Hacer
- Eggless Lemon Bundt Cake from Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Extra Lemon Bundt Cake from Los Chatos Chefs
- Lavender Lemon Cake from Magnolia Days
- Lemon & Lime Cheese Bundt Cake from Un Mordisco Un Pecado
- Lemon Apple Upside Down Bundt Cake from Simply Veggies
- Lemon Basil Bundt Cake from Tartacadabra
- Lemon Bundt Cake from Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Lemon Buttermilk Bundt Cake with Tart Lemon Glaze from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Lemon Confetti Bundt Cake from Our Good Life
- Lemon Curd Bundt Cake with Lemon Glaze from I Love Bundt Cakes
- Lemon Honey Bundt Cake from Brunch with Joy
- Lemon Marble Bundt Cake from Jenny and Sweets
- Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake from Liv for Cake
- Lemon Poppy Seeds Bundt Cake from La Cocina de Aisha
- Lemon Poppyseed Bundt from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon Rhubarb Bundt Cake from From Gate to Plate
- Lemon Ricotta and Poppyseed Bundt Cake from Spice Roots
- Lemon Ricotta Bundt Cake from Love and Confections
- Lemon-Cranberry Poppyseed Bundt Cake from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Mini Limoncello Bundts from Living the Gourmet
- Pink Lemon Pound Cake from Making Miracles
- Pink Lemonade Bundt from Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Rhubarb Pound Cake Bundt with Lemon Glaze from Brooklyn Homemaker
- Soft Lemon Rosemary Bread from Passion Kneaded
- Spring Strawberry Lemon Bundt Cake from Adventures in All Things Food
- Strawberry Lemonade Bundt Cake from Baking and Creating with Avril
- Sweet Lemon Bundt with Blackberry Glaze from From My Sweet Heart