Herb Roasted Tomatoes offer a simple and healthy approach to add a splash of color to brunch, dinner or to toss into a salad.
I first encountered Herb Roasted Tomatoes as part of a Full English Breakfast when traveling to the UK. Delicious!
I have since created my own recipe. Herb Roasted Tomatoes should cool to room temperature prior to serving to enhance flavor (as well as to prevent one from burning their mouth), making them a great side to prepare ahead of time.
Hopefully these flavorful, healthy gems will make their way to your table as common fare.
Here is my version:
- 6 - 8 Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise and seeds removed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- salt (to suit taste)
- pepper (to suit taste)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Prepare baking dish with baking spray.
- Place tomatoes in baking dish, cut side up.
- Combine all remaining ingredients. Consistency will be like a paste.
- Evenly distribute olive oil - herb mixture among all the tomatoes, spreading as well as possible.
- Bake 20 - 30 minutes. Tomatoes are done baking when they have turned soft, but still retain their shape.
- Allow to cool to room temperature prior to serving. May be stored in the refrigerator.