Special thanks to #BreadBakers for letting me join in their baking fun. This month's theme: Yeasty Flatbreads. A big THANK YOU to Chef Mirelle of The Schizo Chef for hosting this month.
Grilled flatbread is rustic and fun, similar to wood fired pizza. It cooks on the grill in a matter of minutes (don't turn you back for too long!), making it a perfect meal for easy entertaining meal.
Margherita-Style Grilled Flatbread was super fun to prepare and even more fun to eat. I hope that you will give it a try!
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (205 - 215F)
- 6 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons basil + olive oil paste (puree at a ratio of 1/2 cup basil to 2 tablespoons olive oil...note pesto can be substituted)
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
- Combine sugar, yeast and water until yeast has dissolved and begins to get frothy, approximately 10 - 15 minutes.
- Combine dissolved yeast mixture with flour, olive oil and salt with a stand mixer equipped with a dough hook. Blend on medium-low speed until smooth and elastic, approximately 5 - 7 minutes. It is purposely a very firm dough so it will hold up on the grill.
- Place dough in greased bowl and allow to rise until doubled in size, approximately 1 hour.
- Divide dough as desired and roll flat. (My preference is for 24 6-inch rounds.) Place rolled dough onto well floured tea towels. Using wax paper or similar will cause dough to stick.
- Heat grill to 400F.
- Reduce heat to low and place rolled dough directly on the grill, being careful not to place over direct flame. Grill approximately one minute or until bubbled and brown. Flip rounds.
- Just after flipping to bake the second side, brush with basil + olive oil mixture (or pesto) and top with tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. Bake just until second side is done.
The big watch-out: be careful to not have the flames too strong and watch carefully - it doesn't take long for this bread to get a little overdone!
Please take a look at what the rest of the group has prepared (in reverse alphabetical order). I'm super impressed with the creativity and skill demonstrated by these #BreadBakers!
- Zaatar Khobez by Cook's Hideout
- Za'atar & Cheese Manakish - Lebanese Flatbread by Ruchik Randhap
- Whole Wheat Pita Bread by G'Gina's Kitchenette
- Tigelle Bread by Cooking Club
- Spelt Biskers by What Smells So Good?
- Simple Pita Bread by A Baker's House
- Sausage Gravy Pizza by Pastry Chef Online
- Roghni Roti by Sneha's Recipe
- Paneer Kulcha by Camp in my Kitchen
- Orange Herb Pitas by Cindy's Recipes & Writings
- Margherita Style Grilled Flatbread by Cali's Cuisine
- Man'oushe - Lebanese Flatbread by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Kesra - Moroccan Flatbread by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Hönökaka - Swedish Flatbread by Passion Kneaded
- Homemade Naan by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Grilled Naan by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled Bacon Onion Cheese Flatbread (Flammkuchen) by Magnolia Days
- Garlic Naan by Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Focaccia Bread by Simply Veggies
- Emirati Khameer by The Schizo Chef
- Chickpea Moroccan Flatbread by Food Lust People Love