It's time to start planning your Thanksgiving Feast!
This Cranberry Apple Salad is a departure from the traditional cranberry sauce (either prepared at home or - heaven forbid - from the can) typically served at Thanksgiving. It can be prepared a couple of days in advance to help with planning your meal.
This recipe was prepared by my mother at Thanksgiving for as long as I can remember. Over the years I have been gradually reducing the amount of sugar that was added to the gelatin portion. Last year sugar was omitted altogether (admittedly an oversight due to too many distractions). The result: perfection! The salad was much more tart and delicious than the previous overly sweet version.
- 1 1/2 cups crushed pineapple, drained (reserve juice)
- 2 small packages strawberry gelatin
- 1 pound cranberries
- 5 tart apples (Granny Smith)
- 1/2 cup English walnuts, chopped
- Measure juice from drained pineapple and add enough water to make 2 cups liquid.
- Boil pineapple juice / water mixture in medium saucepan.
- Add strawberry gelatin and allow to cool without setting.
- Shred cranberries and apples in food processor.
- Combine cranberries, apples, pineapple and walnuts in a large bowl.
- Add cooled strawberry gelatin.
- Transfer to a pretty glass bowl.
- Refrigerate at least 12 hour prior to serving.